The Atlantic County Library System through a partnership with the New Jersey State Library Talking Book & Braille Center (TBBC) has resources available for the visually impaired including Outspoken Library and Braille and Audio Reading Download (Bard).
Outspoken Library and BARD services are available to NJ veterans and residents who cannot read standard print books as a result of vision loss or impairment, a physical handicap, or a learning disability and are deemed eligible to participate in the program. An application for eligibility must be filled out and submitted to the Atlantic County Library System. You must be approved to participate in the program. You may print the Application for Library Services and Certificate of Eligibility or visit your local branch of the Atlantic County Library System for help obtaining a copy.
Outspoken Library - Computer Kiosk
The Egg Harbor Township branch, Galloway Township branch and Ventnor branch of the Atlantic County Library System have the Outspoken Library computer kiosk, which accesses services provided by the Talking Book & Braille Center (TBBC). Contact the library with any questions.
The Outspoken Library computer kiosk offers:
- TBBC’s Audiovision Newspaper Reading Service (link) with a 24 hour broadcast schedule.
- National Federation for the Blind’s Newsline with over 300 available newspapers, magazines, and wireless services.
- Access to the Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) site with over 18,000 digital books for download, which can be played on TBBC issued digital talking-book players.
- Video demonstrations and instructions on how to do a BARD download.
Digital Talking-Book Players
Digital talking-book players are available through the Atlantic County Library System and are provided by the Talking Book and Braille Center. There are over 18,000 unabridged digital books and 40+ magazine titles available for download from BARD to listen to on the player. There are also select titles available for loan that can be requested and borrowed from the State library.
- Android devices with version 4.1 and higher of the Android operating system.
- Apple iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch with version 4.3 or higher of the iOS operating system.
- Kindle Fire - 2nd generation only.
You must be registered with TBBC and you must have an account with the Braille and Audio Reading Download site (BARD). Call TBBC at 800-792-8322 for more information and visit our BARD Mobile App web page.