New Jersey Talking Book & Braille Center (TBBC) designated the Atlantic County Library System as a Regional Resource Center (RRC) for the Deaf and hard of hearing. This designation makes many resources available to us, such as the Assistive Technology Loan Program, TTYs, and current books and videos of interest to our patrons who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- TTY Lending Service
A TTY machine is available for loan to Atlantic County Library cardholders. Borrowers are financially responsible for any damage to the TTY or other assistive devices, and must sign a contract stating such. Signatures are MANDATORY to borrow the TTY or other Assistive Loan Program Devices.
PLEASE NOTE: REPLACEMENT COST OF THE TTY UNIT IS $800.
- Assistive Listening Technology Loan Program
Assistive Listening Systems bridge the gap between your ears and the sounds you do want to hear, while shutting out the noises you don't. These systems combine a transmitter placed near the desired sounds, which is wireless linked to a small receiver that your wear. This receiver, in turn, delivers those sounds directly into your ears.
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Awareness Program (DHHAP)
The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Awareness Program (DHHAP) at the New Jersey Talking Book and Braille Center in West Trenton, is a statewide federally-funded grant program. It provides information and library services to people who are Deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, and their families, friends and professionals who work with them. All materials are available free of charge, via the: Atlantic County Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Section.
DHHAP: What's Available?
- over 700 Videotapes and books on topics related to hearing loss and deafness
- assistive devices such as TTY's, baby cry signalers, bed vibrators, closed captioned decoders, assistive listening devices
- magazines and newsletters from a variety of local, state, national organizations and publishers!
- vertical files of newspaper clippings, press releases and other pertinent information
- conference room available for meetings and workshops
- sign language interpreting services for library events
- Download/view the DHHAP Catalog (194 page PDF file)
P. O. Box 501, 2300 Stuyvesant Ave., Trenton, NJ 08625-0501
(877) 882-5593 - TTY or (800) 792-8322 - Voice
Fax# (609) 530-6384